Wednesday 14 July 2010

Let's talk about the weather

(And my lunch).

So we've been having this heat wave in Finland, first time this bad in the last 50 years or something. That's all people can talk about nowadays, how hot it is, what records we're breaking, some people loving it and others hating it... for me who've spent more than 10 years each in Singapore and Dallas, you'd think I'd be able to handle the heat. But not having air-conditioning in my apartment makes staying at home unbearable, and sleeping at night even worse. I actually can't wait to get to work the past few mornings (nice and cool in the office)

Dark clouds

Today around 12:30, while I was deciding when to go for lunch, I noticed that someone had dimmed the lights. No, wait, it wasn't the indoor lights, it was happening outside! I looked out the window and in a span of a few minutes the whole sky was covered with dark clouds, blocking the sun and dialing its luminosity waaaay down. Hmm, I better hurry up then, I thought. Due to the summer holidays, the cafeteria in my building is closed and I have to cross the quadrangle to another building for lunch. Just as I was about to head out, however, torrential rain happened. Grrr. Instead of a 2 minute walk I had to spend 10 minutes in the indoor maze that linked the buildings together. Well, at least I was dry.

Lunch purchased. Salmon wok chop suey with noodles. Seconds after my butt hit the chair and me reaching for my fork, the fire alarm went off. No kidding. WTF?? I want to eat my lunch!! At first the few of us in the cafeteria kinda looked at one another wondering what to do next, then the security (or fire marshals) came and shooed us out, saying we had to leave. We stepped out into the pouring rain and had to dash across to another building to seek shelter (no time to go through the indoor maze). I was drenched and pissed. After about 10 minutes we were let back into the cafeteria building. I'm still not sure whether there was a real fire, but one thing's for sure: my Salmon wok chop suey with noodles had gotten cold! Sob!

Yes, it's nice to have a temporary relief from the heat, but the whole timing with lunch and fire alarm was horrible. Just my luck. But check out the temperature graph (screenshot from fmi.fi), you can see a whole 10 degree drop from the rain! Although it's quickly climbing back up now...

Temperature drop

No comments:

Post a Comment