Tuesday 2 November 2010

Dark November

First thought that came to my mind when I stepped out of the office yesterday: wow, it's dark. Partly due to the end of daylight savings time over the weekend which reduced daylight in the afternoon by an hour. Another part is of course the rapid shortening of days towards the winter solstice. So while now there's still light for my morning walks to work, in a week or so (definitely less than 2), my weekdays will be sans daylight. (The precious few hours of daylight will be spent in the office, and now without a window view at my new desk.)

Thus this morning's sunny walk to work will be treasured for a while. Even at -4C, it felt warmer than yesterday's cloudy and windy +8C morning. Well, ok, probably my thicker jacket helped too. Although the days will be shorter next month, there's usually (hopefully) more snow in December, that can help brighten things up a bit. Which is why November is generally considered the dreariest month in the northern hemisphere, and things like NaNoWriMo happens.

I've thought about NaNoWriMo-ing for the past couple of years but never got started. Will I start this year? Hehe, probably not. I plan to blog more though, now that I've kinda resumed blogging. The posts on here before today are imported from Google Buzz from around July when I decided to try blogging again. It wasn't really successful, but my excuse is that Google Buzz isn't optimized for blogging. Now with Blogger I should have no excuse. :P

I'll be uploading more pics too... still have stuff from earlier this year and last year (and even before that) which I have to sort and upload. "Have to"? More like "want to". To share with family and friends, and even for my own viewing pleasure. I find that I'll look at the photos more when they are on Facebook or Ovi Share, rather than just sitting on my hard disk.

November is also TASO month. I'll be busy with rehearsals and performances. We have three concerts coming up within the next few weeks: in Kouvola (13.11), Jämsä (28.11), and Tampere (1.12). Should be lots of fun :)

With words, pictures and music to fill my days, November doesn't seem too dreary after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment