Sunday 16 January 2011

TPO concert

Went to see a performance by TPO (Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra) on Friday with some members of TASO (Tampere Academic Symphony Orchestra). We were able to get student group discount ticket for 6€ each (usually I'd have to pay 21€ by myself!). This concert was themed "Dream Classics" and was conducted by Kimmo Tullila, who's also our conductor for TASO (he plays second violin in TPO). Works performed:

  • Dvořák: Slavic Dance no 8
  • Saint-Saëns: Cello Concerto no 1 (Joona Pulkkinen on cello)
  • Kodály: Dances of Galánta
  • Honegger: Pacific 231
  • Sibelius: Pohjola's Daughter
  • Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

Only had my N97 mini with me so couldn't take a better picture... this was taken during the Tchaikovsky piece towards the end. The percussionists are playing on 3 chimes... 3!! Amazing sound. A better camera wouldn't have been able to capture the sound anyway. I've heard so many recordings of 1812, but I think this is the first time I'm hearing it live. Incredible. Hope to have a chance to play it someday.

1812 overture. Crazy cool.

After the concert I had the idea to write a musical CV. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment