Tuesday 11 January 2011

Musical aspirations

We had our first rehearsal of the Spring season last evening. It was a great feeling to be playing with the orchestra again. We started work on a Mahler piece, and while my part by itself is easier than the pieces we played last Fall, the piece on the whole looks trickier. There are lots of small but important details in playing together to get the right balance and sound. It's not just about playing the part well yourself but also listening to and coordinating with one another. One of the reasons I enjoy being in an ensemble so much more than being a soloist.

Another ensemble I'd like to join is the Tampere University Singers. I'm planning to go to the auditions next week. Wish me luck!

Finally, I need to decide if I want to incorporate music into my career, and if so, how I can go about doing it and if such opportunities are available here. Been thinking over things so much these past couple of weeks, my head is about to explode. Perhaps I should go listen to some music now to relax.

Then again, music has always been something for me to relax with, to escape into. If I make it my career, then what do I fall back on when I'm stressed with my job? Hmm, something else to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment