Saturday 13 November 2010

Linja-autossa on tunnelmaa

We spent almost 6 hours on the bus today. Not quite Kummelin tunnelmaa, but it wasn't too bad (for me at least). I napped most of the way there (since I had to wake up around 7:30 to get ready and stuff) and listened to sappy love songs on the way back (more on that maybe in next post).

These orchestra kids love to read! I saw many of them with books on the bus journey. Even during rehearsals I see some of them with paperbacks, consuming a paragraph here and there during appropriate breaks. Or is it true of Finnish kids in general? I suppose they talk less and read more?

We arrived at Kouvola city hall slightly ahead of schedule, only because at the last minute our chairman told us to meet (in Tampere) half an hour earlier than previously planned to account for winter driving conditions and speed limits. There was enough time to warm up a bit and even for some people to change. I didn't want to risk having to rush so I was already changed and ready. Was a tad little nervous about the timpani because we didn't bring our own. Needed to familiarize myself with the borrowed ones...

Fortunately we were allowed a run-through beforehand. The timpani was nicely in tune, although it sounded flatter the louder I played. I didn't have the luxury of time to learn the nuances of the instrument so I just had to make the best of it. The run-through went very well, perhaps even slightly better than when we had an audience later. Nerves maybe? I know it wasn't my best rendition of the pieces during the actual performance, but at least I didn't make any mistakes. Nonetheless the composer (KNL's chairman) seems pleased with our performance of his work and arrangements. And his symphony kinda grew on me a bit. Parts of it, not the whole piece, yet still interesting.

After playing we were fed some food. The food wasn't bad but there was barely enough for all of us. I was one of the last ones in line and had to scrape the tray for the last bit of rice. When we were done eating we just packed up and left. No idea how the KNL assembly was going (it's all in Finnish anyway so makes no difference to me). Got a window seat on the way back, was hoping to see a little more of Kouvola (stopped by here last year for food shopping before heading to friend's summer cottage in Jaala) and scenery along the way, but it got pretty dark pretty quickly. It wasn't even 4pm!!

Ride from Kouvola to Attila was uneventful. However on the bus from Attila back home, a creepy old guy who smelled weird (don't think it's alcohol, not sure what...) got on and sat next to me. There were so many available seats! Why me? He seemed to be inching his way closer to me as well. Luckily my timpani sticks were sticking out of my bag far enough to prevent him from getting too close, but still he kept nudging against my sticks. Why? Why? If it's uncomfortable, go sit somewhere else! There's plenty of room!

Now resting my feet (that have been in high-heeled boots all day) and burping pizza. Contemplated going out again, but only briefly. Right now I'd rather hear the rain/snow hitting my window than hitting my face.

Wait, I think this is my first concert trip as a performer! As in traveling and performing in a different city than the ensemble's home location. I mean, Singapore is so small, different "cities" don't count. And I don't remember having performed outside of the Dallas area. Well, another concert road-trip coming up in 2 weeks - shorter one to Jämsä. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment