Monday 15 November 2010

Mr. Nobody

Nothing too exciting over the remainder of the weekend. Did two large loads of laundry yesterday, attempted to clean the apartment but only got the dishes done, and daydreamed ... well, mostly thinking about the movie I watched the previous week with Jessica. A movie about making choices - Mr. Nobody.

Choices. There are probably several distinct turning points in our lives when we are faced with major decisions that affect our lives drastically. How do we go about making the "right" choice when the outcome is so hard to predict? Then again, if we knew exactly how each choice will turn out, would that make it easier to decide? This movie explores the idea of choice (and even "not choosing", which I think is still a choice) with interesting references to the butterfly effect (just a small, seemingly minor choice/action/deviation can lead to unexpectedly different result), the big bang/crunch theory and even string theory. In other words, awesome movie for a geek like me who happens to be pondering choices in her life too.

The side effect from the above exercise was that I spent quite a few hours googling / wikipeding / reading up and refreshing my mind with the theories of Quantum mechanics, parallel universes, etc. etc. Now I'm reminded as to why I didn't pursue theoretical physics. As much as I am interested/intrigued by all these, just some "light reading" on a weekend is enough to make my head spin and feel 10x as big (as if it's not big enough already).

But back to the movie. So this Mr. Nemo Nobody recounts the 3 lives he seems to have lived, each resulting from a different choice/decision. I won't give away too much of the plot here, except to say that the interweaving between the different realities/lives is very well executed. Both cinematographically (is that a word?) and musically effective. And overall very thought-provoking, a big plus in my book, for I'll remember this movie much longer than some big-bang-boom blockbuster. I'll definitely revisit it sometime. The only thing I didn't really like was how he arrived with his choice of the life with the Asian wife, and how disinterested he was in her and their kids and even his own life in that alternative timeline. You don't know what you're missing dude! Well of course it wasn't her fault or anything but more due to the events leading up to that decision. Still, a somewhat stereotypical play - boring asian, neurotic blonde, leaving the brunette to be pretty much his "true" love.

Another side track... I didn't really notice this before, but Jared Leto is hot! Oooh those eyes. A couple years ago someone mentioned that Jaakko (guy I used to date) looks like him. I don't quite see the resemblance, nonetheless both of them are extremely cute :) Toby Regbo as young Nemo looks yummy too; and he'll be portraying the teenage Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film. More eye candy, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment